Roast Turkey Recipe
No Thanksgiving meal is complete without a magnificent turkey roast gracing your table. Use our roast turkey recipe to create the perfect meal for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Learn how to roast the perfect turkey, how to make the stuffing and more.
How to Roast a Turkey
You will need
5.5 kg / 12 lb fresh or thawed frozen turkey
2 cups water
80 g / 3 oz butter, melted
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 350º F (180°C). Remove the excess fat, giblets and neck from the cavity.
- Wipe the outside and inside with damp paper towel. Spoon stuffing into the turkey breast. Bring neck flap over the back and secure with a poultry pin.
- Spoon the remainder of the stuffing into the body cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Tuck the wings under.
- Place on a rack in a deep roasting pan. Brush the turkey with melted butter. Pour 2 cups of water into the base of the pan.
- Cover the turkey with non-stick baking paper. Then cover the pan tightly with foil. Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and paper. Brush with more melted butter. Replace the paper and foil and bake for a further hour.
- Uncover the turkey and brush again with melted butter. Leave uncovered and return to the oven for a further 1 1/2 hours or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
This roast turkey recipe is based on a 12 lb or 5.5 kg bird. For cooking times based on weight, see this table.
Need a stuffing recipe?
You will need
3 cups fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
200 g / 7 oz fresh dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
120 g / 4 oz toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
1 egg, lightly whisked
How to Make
Process day-old sourdough bread in a processor. Combine the breadcrumbs with the chopped dates, hazelnuts, parsley, lemon zest and egg in a large mixing bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
More Stuffing Recipes
||Our stuffing recipes are easy and healthy.
||Why not try our rice stuffing recipe. Guaranteed to turn your turkey into a special feast.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
Sign up to the newsletter The Nourishing News and receive this free Ebook.
A whole week's worth of healthy meal ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner (including sweets).
Sign up below to receive your freebie
Celebrate summer with this watermelon fruit stack. Is it a cake or a fruit salad? Made entirely from fresh fruit then garnished with berries and yogurt.
How to turn beef into the perfect roast. Learn how to cook roast beef, with details on cooking times, temperatures and the different beef cuts.
Give your stuffing pride of place next to the turkey with our quinoa stuffing. Ditch the traditional for a high-protein, gluten free and healthy variation.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.