Many recipes often call for seeds to be toasted. It just adds so much depth of flavor to dishes.
There are two ways of doing this, either on the stove top or in the oven. Both methods are easy and it really only takes between 5 – 10 minutes and suits any type of seed, whether sesame, sunflower, pumpkin or cumin.
Toasting seeds brings out their nuttiness and makes them crunchier, fabulous if you are adding them to salads or vegetable dishes.
This is a quick and easy method that only takes about 5 minutes and suits small and medium sized batches of seeds. You will need a heavy-based skillet so that the heat is evenly distributed.
1. Spread the seeds in a wide skillet.
2. Place the skillet over a medium heat.
3. Stir constantly until they just begin to color.
4. When they begin to color turn the heat down as seeds burn quickly once they are hot.
5. Continue stirring or shaking the pan until the seeds are fragrant and a medium golden brown.
6. It should only take 1 – 2 minutes for the seeds to become brown and aromatic.
7. Remove the pan from the heat a little early as the seeds will continue to cook.
8. Immediately transfer the seeds to a plate to cool completely before using.
This method is best for larger quantities of seeds and also has the added advantage of producing a more uniform golden brown.
Home » Toasting Seeds